Italian Salad Zucchini Boats (Whole30 Recipe)
This Whole30 recipe was inspired by the simplicity of a delicious Italian salad and lots of delicious local produce. I found myself with a plethora of zucchini and a quick glance at my pantry (I see you, Gaea olive packs and jars of pepperoncini) told me an Italian salad was about to go down, via zucchini boats. This recipe takes about 10 minutes total from start to eat and can be customized with your favorite Whole30 foods and anything you have on hand.
Here's how to make them (makes 4 boats)
2 large zucchini
Black or green olives of choice (we love Gaea)
2 Tbsp pepperoncini
a few small cherry tomatoes
about 6-8 slices cured meats of choice (pepperoni, salami, prosciutto - some of these are harder to find without added sugars but check with your deli counter to find compliant options! If you can't find all of them, choose just one, or even substitute with some grilled chicken)
1 Tbsp diced red onion
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Slice zucchini in half, lengthwise to create two long boats. Scoop out the center of the boats with a spoon. You can cook the scooped out parts and sautee to eat with another meal.
3. Bake the boats, sprinkled with a pinch of salt, for 5 minutes to slightly soften.
4. While zucchini is baking, chop and dice onion, olives, pepperoncini, and cured meats.
5. Add to a bowl and toss with Primal Kitchen Italian dressing of choice.
6. Fill the boats with the meat and veggie mixture and serve.