What's better than chicken salad? Not much. If the internet full of paleo and Whole 30 recipes has shown us anything, it's that chicken salad isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But this ain't your mama's chicken salad (sorry mom!) We're loading ours up with delicious healthy stable fats, in the form of avocado oil mayo, avocados, and nut butter. Wait, nut butter? Technically you could use ANY kind of a binder for chicken salad, so why not? This Asian inspired chicken salad is a fun and easy twist on the classic.
What makes this so good is the combination of three forces working in delicious harmony. First, the protein — a real solid marinade helps flavor this chicken that shines through, even after being covered in force number 2, creamy dreamy almond butter. And finally the transportation device — yes, a fork would work, but what fun is that? Lettuce boats (if you're on a Whole30) or our new Sunfood Turmeric Coconut Wraps make the perfect wrap for getting salad to mouth.
Serves about 4
For the chicken:
1 lb diced chicken thighs
1/4 Cup coconut aminos
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp fish sauce
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp ground ginger powder
Optional: dash of sesame oil
salt to taste
To complete the salad:
3 oz finely chopped carrots
3 oz finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp almond butter (or Whole30 nut butter of choice)
1. Marinade chicken for about 12 hours, combining all the ingredients and covering the diced chicken.
2. When ready to cook, heat some fat of choice over medium high heat, and place chicken + leftover marinade to cook in the pan.
3. Cook until beginning to brown, you can choose to get more browning if desired, or pull from heat as soon as cooked through.
4. Let slightly cool.
5. Add cooked chicken to a large bowl with finely chopped carrots and celery.
6. Add almond butter, stirring to mix well, then serve on wraps.
Posted on August 08, 2017 by Barefoot Provisions
Come gather around the warm glow of the fire and listen, watch, share, discover, and be inspired by the conversation. It is here where we explore stories, and new ideas. Pull up a rock.