Nutiva’s coconut oil is incredibly delicious. It’s got a subtle soft creamy coconut flavor, and a lyrical nutty-floral aroma. Coconut oil is chock-full of lauric acid and medium-chain triglycerides, which have incredible effects on human health. Far from being unhealthy, the “saturated” fats in coconut oil are among the healthiest substances we can consume. People who once avoided coconut oil are now consuming it by the tablespoon, and loving the effects. Welcome to the new age of nutrition, where the foods we love the most are also the best for us.~
For the true, true stories behind this incredible foodstuff, read on.
I love coconut, in all of its forms. Fresh or dried, milk or water, shredded or flaked, butter or oil, I adore its creamy rich nutty taste, and eat it all the time. For a few decades, coconut was vilified by the American nutritional mainstream, but there’s been a reversal during the past decade, and coconut is now being celebrated as the health-giving food it truly is. Studies are coming out weekly, it seems, further supporting coconut’s role in supporting health in a whole spectrum of ways — from weight loss to energy-boosting to cognitive enhancement to immune boosting. Coconut oil is chock-full of lauric acid and medium-chain triglycerides, which have incredible effects on human health. Far from being unhealthy, the “saturated” fats in coconut oil are among the healthiest substances we can consume. People who once avoided coconut oil are now consuming it by the tablespoon, and loving the effects. Yes, it’s been a long road for coconut. But you can now feel good about consuming it with abandon.
Nutiva’s coconut oil is incredibly delicious. It’s got a subtle soft creamy coconut flavor, and a lyrical nutty-floral aroma. There are a lot of coconut oils out there, but Nutiva is one of the best. It all comes down to processing — this is the key to optimizing coconut oil’s taste, texture, color, and aroma. Nutiva uses fresh organic coconuts, and the meat is carefully chopped, washed, and then dried. Then the meat is cold-pressed to make the delicious virgin coconut oil.
Contrast this with most of the coconut oil used today in cooking and body care. First, the coconut is chopped and left to dry in the sun for days. Then the meat is scooped out and sent thousands of miles to giant oil mills where the oxidizing coco meat is refined, bleached, and/or deodorized. Ironically, this product is often labeled as “certified organic.”
Nutiva coconut oil is a staple in any primal kitchen. So throw out all your bad fats, and get yourself a nice tub of this stuff. You’ll find hundreds of uses for it, and the more you read about its health benefits, the more you’ll eat. Welcome to the new age of nutrition, where the foods we love the most are also the best for us.
How to eat this
I go thru coconut oil at a very rapid pace. Studies show that its health benefits really start kicking in at three tablespoons per day, so I try to get at least that much. Here are some of my favorite things to do with coconut oil:
- Use it as a cooking oil. It’s great with veggies, eggs, meats, in baked goods — anywhere you need oil, coconut oil will work beautifully. If you need a liquid fat, it’s really quick and easy to melt it in a little pan.
- Coconut oil puts the smooth in any smoothie, and amps up the nutrition. Just melt a few tbsp in a small pan (don’t get it too hot), and pour it into your blender while the blender is on, and after all the big chunks of stuff have blended up. Pour it in a thin stream, and your smoothie will get wonderfully creamy and smooth.
- Remember Magic Shell? Make your own by melting chocolate with coconut oil. Same cool effect, with no hydrogenated vegetable oils.
- I love coconut oil in my tea. It’s great just stirred in, or all blended up. It’s great in coffee too.
- Coconut oil turns into a white chocolate-like confection when frozen. Try melting it, then mixing it with a little honey and lemon or lime, then freezing it. (Pour it into a thin layer in a plastic container, then break it into pieces. Or use ice cube trays.) You could also mix in nuts and dried fruit.
Why coconut oil is so great for you
Coconut oil has been used by many cultures worldwide for thousands of years, and is well known for its many amazing properties. Coconut is so nutritious, its list of benefits reads like a patent medicine bottle. Many people eat several tablespoons of coconut oil daily, for the incredible host of benefits it confers. It’s full of health-boosting lauric acid and medium-chain triglycerides, and it’s been shown to
- Help with weight loss
- Boost energy and athletic performance
- Help with Alzheimer’s and cognitive function
- Have antimicrobial and anti-viral qualities
- Nourish the thyroid
- Help prevent candida overgrowth
- Boost the metabolism
- Make skin and hair softer
About Nutiva Coconut Oil
- Certified organic and non-GMO
- Made from fresh coconuts, not dried copra
- No solvents
- Pure white like fresh coconut
- Tastes like fresh coconut
- Has a fresh coconut fragrance
- Made with our Fresh Is Best commitment
Note: Nutiva's Organic Extra-Virgin coconut oil is solid at room temperature and melts at 76°F. No refrigeration required.
Nutiva is a wonderful company. Committed to sustainability on every level, they embody the deeper dimensions of the primal lifestyle. In their own words:
Nutiva is an innovative leader in the health food industry. Since 1999 we have operated as a values-driven company dedicated to nourishing people and planet.
We’re building a business characterized by high standards in all aspects of our company, from the organic farms that grow our foods, through the production, packaging, and transportation of our products, to the Nutiva associates who communicate with our retailers and the people who enjoy our products.
Our watchwords—nutritious superfoods, healthier people, and a sustainable planet—express our commitment to move beyond conventional food industry practices to embrace a bigger picture that supports the long-term well-being of humanity as a whole.
Nutiva’s purpose is to produce the highest quality organic superfoods, providing superior nutritional value to our customers while supporting sustainable agricultural practices and a fair return to the farmers on whom we depend. We donate 1 percent of our sales to groups that promote sustainable agriculture.
We educate people worldwide on current developments in nutritional science, organic farming, green energy, and fair trade practices within the global economy.
At Nutiva we continually innovate so that we can better contribute to the health and happiness of our customers as well as the sustainability of our planet.